Garibaldi PAC Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
- Adopt previous meeting minutes: Moved by Sky; seconded by Cathy M; passed.
- VP report – Cathy Thomas
District news- The Long Range Facility Plan– the consultation process has finished and a proposal based upon stakeholder feedback is going to trustees for Board approval tonight. Stakeholder feedback taken from the Ipsos Survey identified top priorities for VBE schools:
- Innovative and supportive learning environments
- Seismically safe buildings
A significant majority of those people said they would be supportive of closing schools if it meant:
- speeding up seismic upgrades (67%)
- building new schools in areas of growth (72%)
- combining two neighbouring schools to build a new school (67%)
- a closed school could be used for community services (70%)
- reducing VSB operating costs (56%)
If the plan is approved, then it is the intent of District staff to provide a preliminary list of possible school closures for Board consideration on June 20, 2016. The earliest that schools on this list can be closed will be September 2017. There are a number of factors that are taken into consideration for a school to be put on the list- the report can be found at:
BC Curriculum- Angela Wong- Moon, Lisa Osoba and I attended the Parent Information night for the ‘redesigned curriculum’ at Templeton Secondary on Monday evening alongside more than 100 parents and Administrators from schools on the Eastside of Vancouver. I will ask Lisa to share her thoughts on this evening. The website that we looked at is: https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/tools
Lateness- we had one of our fire drills last week at 9:10am and it brought to our attention that teachers are not taking attendance when school starts at 9:00am because a number of students arrive after this time. This is a Health and Safety issue as attendance informs staff who is in the building in the case of an emergency and last week, we did not have these records. We understand that it can sometimes be difficult to get here for 9:00am so if there is an issue which makes it challenging for your child to arrive at school for the start of the school day, please let your child’s teacher know. Thank you for your help in this matter.
School organization for 2016-2017- we currently have 55 students registered at Garibaldi Annex in September, which includes 8 Kindergarten students. We have been allocated three classroom teachers and so at this time, if numbers remain the same, we expect to have a K/1 class, a 2/3 class and a 3/4 class.
School calendar- has been approved and will be sent home next week in hard copy, electronically attached to the newsletter and posted on the school website. Copies are available from the school office as well.
What else are we doing? All students are currently participating in Keep Vancouver Spectacular and Division One are working with our Artist in Residence again on a media arts project. We all had a wonderful time at Spanish Banks where everyone had the opportunity to release a salmon and where we hiked in the Pacific Spirit Regional Park. We all enjoyed the day and are very thankful to the parent volunteers who were able to join us and also to the PAC who provided such a wonderful lunch. I don’t think any of us will forget that day.
Thank you PAC- for enriching our curriculum in so many ways
- We have the Orff program underway and look forward to students sharing their learning in a performance at the Volunteer Tea, scheduled at 2:00pm on Friday 27th
- Students and teachers continue to enjoy going out to the garden with PAC volunteers.
- PAC has also funded ‘sexplainer’ Marnie Goldenberg next Wednesday evening 25th May from 6:15pm to 7:45pm to deliver a parent talk before she works with students on Thursday 26th
Dates for your diaries:
- Division 2 and 3 going on a field trip to Burnaby Village Museum- Wednesday 25th May
- Parent Education evening led by sexplainer Marnie Goldenberg Wednesday 25th May 6:15pm- 7:45pm
- Marnie Goldenberg to visit classes Thursday 26th May
- Musewest performance Friday 27th May at 9:15am
- Volunteer appreciation tea on Friday 27th June at 2:00pm
- Welcome to Kindergarten Wednesday 1st June at 1:15pm
- Bike to School week Monday 30th May- Friday 3rd May
- Sports Day will be held on the morning of Friday 10th
- PAC meeting and elections on Wednesday 15th June at 6:00pm
- Year end Family BBQ Thursday 23rd June 5:00pm- 7:00pm
- Financial Report
PAC Account: $12, 179.50 (part of this account will be allocated to Backpack Buddies. Will discuss
how much to allocated for the future…good idea to have a separate account).
Gaming Account: $942.35 (to be used up in school year…this year was used for MuzeWest, Sexplainer, Marimba lessons, field trip)
Kitchen: Lunch for Sports day on June 10th (Hot Dogs & Veggie Dogs), cookies and fruit for
parent’s talk with Sexplainer; possibly one more bake sale or popcorn sale before year end; will supply buns, sausages & plates for year-end BBQ (the rest will be potluck)
Garden: cleanup went well; students have been doing garden maintenance; will create watering schedule for the summer
Activities: Bike week is May 30 – June 3rd. School will encourage kids to ride their bikes to school via posters, stickers, prizes, etc.
Volunteer Tea on May 27th. Students will hold a marimba performance. Tea open to all parents – spread the word!
- Fund allocations / Burnaby Village Museum field trip: Lisa moves to approve $250 for Mrs. King; Cathy M seconds; passed.
- Next meeting is Wednesday, June 15th at 6pm.
- Adjourned at 6:55pm.
Get the PDF here: Garibaldi PAC Minutes May 2016